Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Hidden Paradise in Bangkok Garden

Originally, my friend and I were heading over to Burger King in Westlake when we decided to try Bangkok Garden instead. Situated on Southgate Avenue, Bangkok Garden is a paradise nestled next to a Chinese restaurant and a Martial Arts Studio, with ample street parking around a residential area. Entering the establishment, I was welcomed by a relaxing, tropical atmosphere. Lush greenery and echoes of flowing water decorated the dining area. The walls depicted paintings of exotic lands with topless princess’ and mythical figures. The dining area was not large; around the size of an average classroom at SF State. The music was ethnic with a modern structure, best identified as world fusion. There were around 5 servers, more than ample for the size of the restaurant.

I ordered Chicken Yellow Curry and my friend ordered Spicy Beef. In addition, a large bowl of Jasmine rice and an appetizer of Papaya Salad were requested. The $7 Papaya Salad was amazing, dripping with sweet, tart, and fresh flavors. I immediately compared it to a $25 Salad that I had at Emerald’s in Las Vegas. Ultimately, the Papaya Salad was even better.

The entrees however were a mixed bag. The Chicken Yellow Curry was flavorful with distinct flavors of various curry spices. The chicken was quite tender, melting in my mouth. Though the Chicken Yellow Curry was good, the Spicy Beef was atrocious. The meat was almost as hard as beef jerky and the sauce hovered back and forth between spicy, sour, and sweet, not knowing where to settle. Thankfully there was the soft and fragrant Jasmine rice to dilute the weird flavors and horrid texture of the Spicy Beef. For dessert, we had Fried Banana and Mango ice cream which were slightly better than typical for a Thai restaurant. The service was better than average as we got drinks refilled 3 times. After dessert, I went to use their bathroom. I hope the rundown, not-so-new condition of the restroom does not mirror the kitchen, as I tried to get out of there as soon as possible. Bangkok Garden accepts major credit cards but I believe there was a minimum charge for credit. Overall the atmosphere and décor is pleasant, the food was pleasant, the Papaya Salad and Chicken Yellow Curry being highly recommended, and unfortunately a few hiccups of establishment cleanliness.

I would recommend taking a trip to a hidden paradise in Daly City by checking out Bangkok Garden at least once.
***1/2 of ***** and $$ of $$$$$ with most dishes under $10
OBSEssed!

No comments:

Post a Comment